Cabbage Joke-Two Cabbage Heads
“One day two cabbage heads, who were best friends, were walking together down the street. They stepped off the curb and a speeding car came around the corner and ran one of them over. The uninjured cabbage head called 911 and helped his injured friend as best he was able.
The injured cabbage head was taken to emergency at the hospital and rushed into surgery. After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared. He told the uninjured cabbage head, “I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that your friend is going to pull through.” “The bad news is that he’s going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life” (1)“
Cabbage was involved in an accident today and was taken to the emergency room at the Wholefoods Hospital. After spending a long time in surgery, with the top doctors doing ALL they could, we are the first station to break the news-Cabbage will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.
The Diabetic Community is celebrating this breaking news, meanwhile, the High Carb Community is demonstrating in the capital. The Diabetic Community was told that Cabbage will be a special vegetable for the rest of his life-a low carb variety.
This has left the High Carb Community mad. They have taken to the streets of the capital with placards and they are chanting the words “death to Cabbage.”
The Politicians have intervened and the situation is under control. This led to a different celebration-A celebration with cabbage soup, cooked cabbage, and we also saw a cabbage pie being served.
Cabbage for Diabetes
Diabetics are happy to know that cabbage is low in fat and calories. One gram of cabbage contains only 25 grams of calories. Please be reminded that this is a good reason or diabetics to eat more cabbage. This means that it is also low on the glycemic index, an indication that it will gradually spike our blood glucose, rather than give us a sudden, high spike.
According to Smth 2016), persons who ate a little over 1 serving of cabbage on a daily basis reduced the risk of Type 2 Diabetes by as much as 14%. This is promising news for diabetics and their entire family. Note, I keep saying that prevention is the key and there is no need to cook separately for the person with diabetes.
We all need to make healthier food choices and we must include a lot of plant-based foods in our diet if we are determined to beat and avoid diabetes and other illnesses, such as cancer, obesity, and high cholesterol to name a few.
Other Heath Benefits of Cabbage
- Lowers cholesterol-The best way to achieve this is by steaming the cabbage. Raw cabbage is not as effective, even though it does lower cholesterol as well. The fiber components bind better with the bile acids in the digestive tract when the cabbage is cooked. Our cholesterol gets lower when the bile acids are pushed out of the body.
- Cabbage contains Sinigrin, which is instrumental in the prevention of some types of cancer. Sinigrin is found in cabbage. Eating cabbage can prevent the following cancers:
- Prevents oxidative stress because of the antioxidants. Note, this situation can lead to cancer as well.
- Inflammation is kept at bay due to the polyphenols content in all cabbage.
- Stabilize blood pressure and controls heart rate due to the presence of Manganese
- Help with red blood cell formation due to iron content
- Keeps our bones healthy, thanks to the Vitamin K presence
- Offers protection from Radiation Therapy (Ware, 2016)
- Treats constipation
- Soothes stomach ulcers
- Relieves headache
- Treats eczema
- Helps to prevent scurvy
Cabbage is one of the best foods we can purchase to prevent and cure a number of illnesses. However, the focus was on diabetes. A little over a serving of cabbage cooked and eaten on a daily basis can reduce the risk of diabetes by as much as 14%. Cabbage is a treat for the entire family as it is low in fat and also calories. This makes it an extra special treat for persons wanting to lose weight.
The numerous health benefits include, but is not limited to: prevents cancer, heals ulcers, lowers cholesterol, prevents scurvy, relieves a headache, and offers protections from Radiation Therapy.
A Call for Action-Given the Verdict
The verdict then is that Cabbage will be a vegetable for the rest of its life. It will always be low in calories and fat, it will fill us up and protect us from all kinds of illnesses.
It is my hope that you are sure now that you will be including cabbage in your diet. In the event, you are already eating cabbage, but not enough, it is my prayer that you just committed to eating more cooked cabbage.
The fight against diabetes is real and sometimes difficult, but it is abundantly clear, that if we are informed, determined and willing to act on the information we learn, then diabetes can and will be a part of our history.
Let me thank you for reading this post and I invite you to share your thoughts and comments with us in the box provided below. Your views are special and I would be appreciative if you would share. If you have a special topic related to diabetes and food and you would love some information, please make your request in the box below. I will do my best to deliver.
Until next time, walk good and make the right food choices Team Crawford.
- “Cabbage Jokes.” Vegetable Jokes. Jokes4us.com, 2016. Web. 01 Aug. 2016.
- Smith, Rebecca. “Spinach and Cabbage ‘may Reduce Risk of Type 2 Diabetes'” The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 2016. Web. 01 Aug. 2016.
- Ware, Megan. “Nutrition / Diet Cabbage: Health Benefits, Facts, Research.”Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, 19 Jan. 2016. Web. 01 Aug. 2016.