In this brief post, I will keep my promise to share with you a kidney bean recipe. I also decided to make it a Jamaican recipe with some meat included with the beans. This Jamaican stew pea is a versatile recipe. If you would prefer to have a meatless recipe, simply omit the pigtail and the beef and you will have a delicious stew.
Jamaican Stew Peas
Ingredients for 5 – 6:
- 1 pound beef (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound pigtail (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 1 pound red kidney beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole)
- 1 stalk escallion (peel, washed and finely cut)
- 1 small onion (peeled and finely cut)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds/berries
- 1 can coconut milk
- Boil the pigtail in water for 10 minutes. The water should cover the pigtail. Throw away the water after you are through boiling the pigtail.
- Wash the beans and discard the water
- Place the red kidney beans, pigtail, and beef in a pressure cooker and cover with approximately four inches of water. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until tender
- Heat a large skillet, to which you will add the coconut oil, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, escallion, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes
- Add the red kidney bean mixture (containing pigtail and beef)
- Add the coconut milk, and pimento seeds and simmer on low flame for 15 minutes
I serve the above with brown rice and a green tossed salad. I sometimes serve it with sweet potatoes because I am diabetic and I avoid rice when I can. If the rest of the family prefers to eat it with rice, then just boil a small piece of sweet potato or pumpkin for the diabetic. The sweet potato will give a gradual rise in the blood glucose level of the diabetic, instead of the horrible spike from the rice, especially white rice.
Extra Information for your Perusal
Please see below for some other posts which will explain the reasons we should eat more beans and more plant-based foods in general:
- The health benefits of eating beans
- Research findings of plant-based foods and the diabetic connection
- The reasons you should cook and eat more meals at home
I am sure you understand by now the health benefits of preparing healthy meals at home for the entire family to enjoy. The bonus is that diabetes will stay clear of your family. I would also like to remind you that the same foods you eat to control or prevent diabetes, will also keep cancer at bay in your family. Click here and read this article.
The Jamaican Stew Peas is a tasty and an easy to prepare meal, which can be done at home for a fraction of what it would cost in a restaurant. It is one of the bean recipes which can be had with some animal protein, or simply omit it if you so desire. This is another bean recipe to help us to consume more plant-based foods in our weekly meal choices.
Enjoy, and continue to eat to avoid diabetes and other illnesses.
I found some deals. Please see below:
- Save 80% On Bayer Contour Diabetes Monitoring Kit Combo (Meter Kit and Contour Test Strips 50ct.) & Get Free Shipping On Orders Over $99 At TotalDiabetesSupply.com! Click Here!
- Free Box Of Relaimed Lancets – 100 ct. With Any Order Of $25 Now At TotalsDiabetesSupply.com! Click Here! Use Code: FREELANCET!
- Official WonderSlim Coupons and Discounts
- Nature’s Herbs Products Promotion: Coupon Code NAHE10 for Extra 10% OFF!