Eat more nuts and seeds and cut back on your carbohydrate and saturated fat intake. That is the news from Tufts and Cambridge Universities (CTV News, 2016). The team suggested that we should eat less of the following:
- Animal fats
- Carbohydrates (the refined ones)
On the other hand, we are being encouraged to eat more:
- Sunflower seeds
- Vegetable Oils
- Vegetable spreads
Again, this is not new information. And, it is clear that this is the way to go. It is evident that we must return to mostly unprocessed foods and little animal protein if we would like to control diabetes or even prevent diabetes in some cases.
Below, I will spend a little time to share with you some of the health benefits of sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts, and soybeans.
A Closer Look at the Sunflower Seed-Health Benefits
- They are good for our bones, because of the minerals.
- Provides relief for arthritic pain
- Soothes the nerve and so keep us calm (due to the magnesium content)
- Relieves stress
- Relieves migraine headaches
- Prevents cancer because of the role it plays to control cell damage (thanks to the selenium contained in the seeds
- Prevents heart attack (note 1/4 of these seeds will fight cholesterol when it tries to stick on the walls of your arteries)
- Will lower cholesterol (see the point above)
- Contains Vitamin E, which helps our skin to glow and gives us protection in the sun
- Eases joint pain
- Helps with gastric ulcer
- Eases Asthma
It is not uncommon for people with diabetes to develop issues with their heart and cholesterol. Thus, it is a good for us to develop the habit of walking around with sunflower seeds as a snack when we are out and hungry.
The Health Benefits of Flaxseed
- Helps to reduce sugar craving because it is high in fat but low in carbohydrate
- Can be used as hormone replacement and therefore is of significant benefit for women going through menopause
- The risk of osteoporosis is greatly reduced when flaxseed is eaten on a regular basis
- Relieves constipation and helps with digestive issues
- Eases the discomfort of Chron’s Disease
- Reduces gut inflammation
- Pushes yeast and candida from the body
- Can help to prevent colds and cases of flu, or at least make them less severe
- Aids the discomfort of Celiac Disease (note, it is gluten-free)
- Lowers cholesterol
- Helps in weight loss
- Good for skin and hair
The statistics through the years have shown that a number of obese individuals are diabetics as well. Consuming flaxseed is, therefore, a win-win for this group, as it aids with weight loss, lowers cholesterol and reduce sugar cravings.
Walnuts Health Benefits
- Diabetes (1/4 cup consumed daily reduces fasting blood glucose)
- Controls weight (makes you feel full, so you eat less)
- Good for our hearts (only four daily can keep a heart attack at bay)
- Helps cholesterol
- Fights breast and prostate cancer.
- 2 handful consumed daily can slow the growth of a tumor by 50%
- Can prevent liver damage which occurs because of chemicals in the body
- Improves sperm quality
- The antioxidants support our brain
It is clear that we should be eating more of this healthy fat. When one considers all the benefits we can get from eating a few walnuts, how can we not re-write the grocery list to include walnuts?
The Health Benefits of Soybeans
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers the risk of breast cancer
- Prevents colon cancer
- Suppresses appetite and so can help with weight loss
- When eaten in large quantities, it can lead to healthy weight gain, due to the fiber and the protein. This is good for persons who are underweight and need to gain weight using healthy foods
- Helps to prevent osteoporosis
- Reduces mood swings experienced during menopause
- Improves bone health
- Improves digestive health
- Improves blood circulation
Soybean has more protein than any other bean and the protein also is similar to that found in animals. This makes it an exceptional choice for persons on a vegan diet and a good option for those wanting to control diabetes or eliminate it once and for all.
An examination of the information provided above will reveal that these healthy fats (soybeans, walnuts, flaxseeds and sunflower seeds are good for the diabetic, but also beneficial for those with heart issues, cholesterol, and obesity, to name a few.
It becomes more evident as we continue to read the results from these different studies, done all over the world, that a diet rich in plant-based foods is highly beneficial to the human race. It is amazing and comforting to see that the same diet, help us to control a lot of common illnesses/diseases in our midst.
It is even nicer, that eating these healthy fats can also prevent us from getting a lot of the diseases we today accept as the norm. There is no reason for us to accept diabetes and cancer as death sentences, because they are not. We need to eat what God has provided and it will be well with our bodies. We will at least be in better health for a longer time.
There is no reason for us to accept cancer as a death sentence. The truth be told, it is not. At least, it does not have to be. It is quite simple. Eat the whole foods which are all around us and live a healthier and happier life. It really is that simple.
I really have not been a walnut, flaxseed, soybean, sunflower eating person, but I do hope you will join me in looking at these options. My plans are to scout them out today and purchase small packs and see what I like. Yes, I will give you some feedback.
My faithful and new readers, let me encourage you to continue to care for your most valuable asset, your “body.” It’s not like a car where you can walk into a parts shop and pick up some badly need parts. Please, eat the right foods, exercise and live a healthy and happy life.
My Prayer for you Today
Lord, I thank you for being the awesome God you are. I thank you for sending your son to die so that we have a life in you. Today, I ask a special blessing for all my readers. The person who is reading this post at this moment is special in your sight Father and by the authority you gave to me, I speak peace, health, and wealth into their lives.
I break every stronghold in the name of Jesus and I set them free, through Your Name. It is done. I curse diabetes, cancer obesity, high cholesterol and all the other illnesses we suffer and I declare that we are well. Lord, you have so kindly provided the foods for us to eat, but we have gone astray and continue to eat the things which make us ill.
Please, Lord, change our taste buds and let us only crave that which will improve our health and make us live happy lives in you. Amen, so let it be. Thank you, Jesus.
- CTVNews. “Fewer Carbs and More Healthy Fats Could Reduce the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes.” CTVNews. BellMedia, 20 July 2016. Web. 21 July 2016.